How To: Wear Jumbo Gems?
Chic, bold and modern, the season’s Quality Street gems make light work of December dressing.
Previously, gems of gigantic proportions barely made it beyond the factory, let alone painfully sewn onto balaclavas, T-shirts, jumpers, bombers and tunics... However, thanks to daring designers at Dolce & Gabbana, Sportmax, Carven and Markus Lupfer, chunky embellishment is queen in the separates department this season.
To wear the trend without looking like an Elizabeth Taylor impersonator, here are a few of Motilo’s dos and don’ts for rocking the trend:
- Embellishments can be a cool addition to jersey or knitwear, but never try it on felt. This runs the risk of looking like a homemade Christmas decoration. You've been warned.
- Cheaper styles are easy on the wallet, but they're not great in crowded spaces. Saving on pennies often ends in losing out on gems. By hey, you win some, you lose some. If you’re looking for a cheaper option, try gem-encrusted beanies, which are simply fantastic for adding energy to bleak winter days.
- Blinged-up accessories are an easy way to get the trend, but be careful when snuggling up at a Christmas party. Catching a potential mistletoe-worthy date with your decorated wrist is a likely to end in a taxi for one.
- If there’s one way to upgrade a tired little black dress, this is it. Do splash out on snazzier styles and don’t feel guilty. Technically, you’ve saved on the price of a dress.
- Sparkle and deep sea diving don’t mix but scuba fabrics do. Depending on budgets there’s styles aplenty right now. Wear it with leather to go truly luxe with this look.
For more styling tips on how to wear jumbo gems this season or to shop the featured pieces, click on the items above.
This style how-to is brought to you by Motilo.com in collaboration with styleXstyle.